Site last updated on Friday 23rd July 2021.
Our provisional calendar of expeditions for late in 2021 and early 2022, features old favourites like our Tres Cruces and Peru 6000m expeditions running in November and December 2021, and new trips like our Central America Highlights scheduled for February 2022.
André high altitude skiing on the 5368m high peak of Culin Thojo in the Bolivian Andes in June 2018. We've run two ski-mountaineering expeditions to these mountains in 2014 and 2018. We're hoping to get back again in 2022, with a trip likely in May or June 2022. Details to follow soon. In the meantime our Calendar of scheduled trips for late 2021 and early 2022 is here.
Read about our Coronavirus booking policy below the guidebook pictures.
The new E-book version of the 5th Edition of our guidebook "The Andes
- A Guidebook for Climbers and Skiers" is now available. Distributed online
through Primento and widely available from Apple, Amazon, Google Play, etc.
as either a whole book (pictured on the right) or as ten separate
individually priced chapters (pictured left).
Whole book ISBN 978-0-9536087-7-5.
The paperback version is already available from various online sources or
directly from us. Click here to go to our Andes
Guidebooks page on our website where you can see further
information about the up-coming E-book and also buy paperback copies
directly from us using Paypal.
CORONAVIRUS. Given the current worldwide crisis our scheduled expeditions may be subject to updates and changes. But any bookings made with us are fully refundable if we (or you) have to cancel due to any national or regional government coronavirus restrictions, either in your home country, here in Scotland, or out in the Andes. This guarantee does not include a refund if you personally become ill with Covid or have to isolate due to a close personal contact. CORONAVIRUS.
Information about the climbing and trekking guidebooks to the Andes which John Biggar has authored. These have been translated into French, Spanish, Czech & Polish. You can purchase the English and Spanish editions through this website. The 5th English edition was published in February 2020.
We can provide or organise logistical support for many types of mountain expeditions, in many parts of the Andes. In the past ANDES have organised treks, ski holidays, expeditions and guided climbing for private individuals, groups of friends, schools, clubs and military groups
Every year ANDES schedule a small number of unique and interesting expeditions to the Andes and Latin America. Many of these are First Ascents and other exploratory expeditions. The majority of these are led by John Biggar in person, with one or two selected trips being led or co-led by other qualified and experienced leaders.
In addition to the scheduled expeditions and courses that john Biggar/ANDES organise, we can organise instructional courses, expeditions and straightforward ski-touring trips in many diverse parts of the world.
Scottish Climbing Instruction (opens in Johnbiggar.com website)
John Biggar can also instruct winter climbing, rock climbing and ski-mountaineering in all parts of Scotland. In the past we've run winter skills and ski-touring weekends, week long winter courses and guided ascents of classic rock climbs for individuals, Mountain Rescue Teams and clubs.
Why book with ANDES and John Biggar?
- Past Successes. Many of the mountaineering expeditions to the Andes that we organise offer those critical extra 2 or 3 days and low guide:client ratios necessary for success on a big mountain.
- We're Good. We are highly recommended by past customers. Have a look at the Customer Satisfaction page for further details. Not surprisingly we have very high repeat booking rates and referral booking rates and run a lot of private itineraries. That's why we have hardly advertised for more than ten years.
- We're Specialists. John Biggar personally has MORE experience of operating mountaineering, skiing and trekking expeditions to South America than anyone else in the world. He has more than twenty-five years of experience climbing and skiing in the Andes and has climbed over 350 of the 5000m+ summits and skiied on over 100 different peaks in Patagonia.
- We get lots of Repeat Business. We have many satisfied customers, including some who have completed more than ten expeditions with us. Thom from Scotland just recently climbed his 30th major 6000m+ peak in the Andes. All these were climbed with John as a guide and organiser..... although we should point out that Thom has put a lot of effort in himself over the years!
- Small Groups. Smaller groups are more flexible and much less intrusive in remote mountain areas. Our maximum group size on all regular courses and expeditions is four. Have a look at the 'Our Style' page for further details.
Andes Guidebooks Details of the guidebooks we publish - 'The Andes - A Guide for Climbers' and its E-book, French, Spanish, Czech and Polish editions. The 5th English edition of "The Andes - A Guide for Climbers" was published in February 2020 and the E-book version of the 4th edition was published in November 2015, and will be updated soon. Spanish and French editions of this guidebook were published in 2007 and 2009, a Polish edition in 2012 and a Czech edition in 2019.
Guidebook, Photo and Map Library Information about the extensive guidebook, photo and map library I maintain at the office in Castle Douglas.
For further details of the services John Biggar can offer, more information on the mountains of South America, or to purchase guidebooks please contact us at
or by phone 01556 503929 from the UK, + 44 1556 503929 from elsewhere in the world.
You are also welcome to write or visit at
John Biggar, ANDES, 37a St. Andrew Street, Castle Douglas, Kirkcudbrightshire, DG7 1EN, SCOTLAND
The office is located in the middle of the town of Castle Douglas, which lies in Galloway in southern Scotland about half-way between the towns of Kirkcudbright and Dumfries.
If you experience any problems with this website (even if it's just a missing picture or missing link) or with the e-mail address please let us know using the above numbers or the alternate email address email@example.com .
This website, including all photos (unless otherwise credited), maps, lists, diagrams and text are © 1997-2021 John Biggar. Unauthorised reproduction is prohibited by copyright law. If you wish to use any material from this site please contact us for permission first; permission will usually be granted for non-commercial use providing you give full credit and link directly back to this website.
Free Information Files & Photo Galleries on this Website